söndag 18 december 2011

Inspired by Old model from Leksand

Half mitten - old model from Leksand
I started knitting this one during the course in traditional twined knitting at Sätergläntan that I attended in November. The original pair of half mittens (from the 19th Century) is owned by Karin Kahnlund. 
The mittens feature many of the characteristics of old mittens from Leksand:  knitted with white yarn, a broad cuff, one of the three threads used for casting on is red and they have a crook-stitch pattern. 
The original mitten has a gauge of 52 stitches/10 cm (13 stitches/inch). I knitted this one on dbpns 1.75 mm (00) and a thin 2-ply yarn for twined knitting from Wålstedts (a thinner version of their regular 4,7/2). My gauge is 49-50 stitches/10 cm (12-12.5 stitches/inch).

I knitted this to get a feel for the traditional twined knitting and I think that it was a great experience.

3 kommentarer:

  1. That is an awesome looking hat! And a great way to use up yarn.

    SvaraRadera
  2. Looks like I messed up where to place the comments. Sorry.

    1. Is the decrease on the cap a S2kp?
    2. On the gloves, I tend to knit tightly in twined knitting, but your example looks very "soft." Though the stretch is reduced, is twined knitting meant to be knitted 'moderately?'I wonder if I pull too tight.

    SvaraRadera