torsdag 22 september 2011

Knitting in the old tradition



The first time I saw this stitch pattern I knew that I would make at least one pair of mittens using it. The sheer symmetry and harmony that it displays appeals strongly to me. It was part of a mitten from the north of Halland, Sweden. When it comes to knitting, Halland is foremost known for the fantastic Binge tradition. But I have never seen this pattern used in Binge knitting.


These mittens are knitted on dbpns 2.0 mm with a thin 2-ply yarn spun in Denmark. The wool used is from the Swedish breed "Värmlandsfår" and the colours are natural. I used 140 grams in total. The gauge is 40 stitches to 4 inches and 40 rows to 4 inches.


The cast on and the first 6 rows are knitted in twined knitting to get a firm and durable start for the cuff. The rest of the mitten I knitted holding the yarn in my right hand, “throwing” the yarn in the way that was traditional in most of Sweden before we started knitting continental in the first half of the 1900´s. I have found that I actually find it easier to get an even fabric with this technique when knitting with two colours. It also reminds me a bit of twined knitting, so I really like it.

Rosenkransar - Old stitch pattern from Gotland, Sweden
Twice before have I used this technique, knitting in the old Swedish tradition: a pair of mittens with a stitch pattern from Gotland and a pair of wrist warmers in the Spede tradition from Scania, Sweden.


Wrist warmer in the Spede tradition from Scania, Sweden

14 kommentarer:

  1. Så vackra! Allihop...
    /Ann-Britt

    SvaraRadera
  2. Helt fantastiskt, både mönster och stickskicklighet!

    SvaraRadera
  3. Beautiful work and very interesting technique. I look for forward to researching this now....and someday (among the other things I want to learn :) ) would like to try it.

    SvaraRadera
  4. @ Rät & Avig
    Tack Ann-Britt! Det finns verkligen hur många som helst vackra, gamla mönster. Det är bara tiden som saknas för att man ska hinna sticka alla man vill :)

    @ Maritas Maskor
    Tack, tack! vad roligt att du tycker om dem.

    @ Robert
    Thank you for your kind comment. Best wishes.


    /Lars

    SvaraRadera
  5. Again more beautiful work. They are lovely.
    I have a book on Swedish Mittens and I have made 2 pairs. They never looked this nice. Mine are always a little out of wack. Like they are leaning towards something, I wish I knew what it was...

    SvaraRadera
  6. Simply lovely! I think I'll have to incorporate that pattern into a design in the future. Thanks for the lovely photos.

    SvaraRadera
  7. Such lovely work! I can see why you love this pattern, it is elegant and interesting.

    SvaraRadera
  8. @ Roberta
    Thank you! I am sure you are too critical towards yourself.

    @helenkosings
    Tack för berömmet! Roligt att du också gillar mönstret.

    @ Sheila
    Thank you for your kind comment!

    /Lars

    SvaraRadera
  9. Hej!
    Fantastiska vantar ich jag blir glad när jag läser att du också håller garnet i höger hand vid vanlig tvåfärgsstickning.
    För mig blir stickfastheten konstig och jag undrar om det blir så för dig?
    Synd att inte fler testar eftersom ytan blir snyggare och det flyter bättre i stickningen
    Med vänlig hälsning,/Marianne
    Http://froding.blogspot.com

    SvaraRadera
  10. Your work is truly inspiring !
    Thank you so much.

    SvaraRadera
  11. Your work is really beautiful! I really like the Rosenkransar mittens. Do you know if that pattern is published in English anywhere? I would really like to knit a pair or two!

    SvaraRadera
  12. Great! beautiful! Where's the flipping pattern!

    SvaraRadera
  13. Beautiful! Thanks for sharing. My goal is to be able to do this myself someday.

    SvaraRadera
  14. Nydelig arbeid og flotte mønster <3 Finnes det noe video som forklarer hvordan denne gamle teknikken gjøres? Elsker å lære nye (gamle) teknikker!

    SvaraRadera