fredag 22 juli 2011

Twined Knitting projects 2009-2010 (tvåändsstickning)

1. Twined Mittens - Grey
These are mittens in the traditional way.The yarn is z-plied wool from Kampes. I used grey as it is traditional for workmens mittens and used a traditional red yarn in the cast-on. The gauge is 45 stitches to 10 cm (about 11 stitches to an inch). The increase for the thumb is made from one side only. After finishing the mittens I washed and “felted” them lighty, shaping them to my hand. The result is a very dense and almost “stiff” fabric with very little elasticity.










2. Twined Mittens - Red and Grey

Striped mittens in red and grey yarn from Wålstedt. 140 grams.











3. Twined Knitting Sampler 

This is a sampler in twined knitting. It was knitted during a course in twined knitting at Sätergläntan taught by Karin Kahnlund. The yarn is from Wålstedt.










4.  Cap in Twined Knitting - Pheasants

This is a cap made in twined knitting with z-plied yarn from Wålstedts. Natural brown and natural grey, a total of 90 grams. The stitch pattern is a very old one, from the Binge tradition, called “Pheasants”. I like these colours since they give me a feeling of “old and traditional” knitting.






5. Mittens for Inez - in Twined Knitting

Twined mittens made for my mother. The yarn used is Wålstedts 2-ply, z-twined. The colours are grey and red dyed on grey (that is my favourite red), a total of 85 grams.
The stitch pattern is from the Norwegian Selbu tradition.











6. Young Man´s Moustache - Mittens in Twined Knitting

These twined mittens are made with a 2-ply, z-twined, yarn spun at Wålstedts. The wool used for this yarn comes from a breed of sheep called “Värmlandsfår” and it is excellent for knitting warm mittens.
I used a natural brown and a natural grey, a total of 155 grams.
The cuff is knitted as a “false folded cuff” in a way that can be seen on some old mittens. It was done to give the impression that you could afford yarn to knit a cuff long enough to be folded. The cuff is knitted separately and first. Then stitches for the mitten are picked up from within the cuff border.
The stitch pattern for the cuff is No 330 “Young Man´s Moustache” from Prof. Kenan Özbel´s “Knitted stockings from Turkish villages”

7. Sturdy Socks in Twined Knitting

Sturdy socks in twined knitting using traditional basic design. I´m not used to this way of knitting the heel of the sock, but it fits better than I anticipated.
The stitch pattern is from G.N. Klimova´s book “Uzorne Viazanie Komi” (Knitted Patterns of the Komi).







8.  Odds and ends - Mittens in Twined Knitting

I had some z-twined yarn from Kampes left from earlier projects, so I decided to make a pair of mittens. It took 105 grams all in all. It is a bit strange because when I use Wålstedts z-twined yarn a similar sized pair of mittens requires 140-160 grams.
I didn´t follow a pattern. Just played along and knitted both mittens at the same time to be able to make them similar.
These are very soft and I suspect that they may perhaps not be as “long lived” as mittens made with yarn from Wålstedts. Last time I knitted mittens with yarn from Kampes I used needles size 2.0 mm and that resulted in a more compact fabric.

9. Striped Mittens in Twined Knitting

These are simple striped mittens in twined knitting. I´m still using my old yarn from Kampes to finish it off. These took a total of 95 grams.















10. Toarp (1) - Man´s cap in twined knitting

This is an attempt to reconstruct an old cap from Toarp, Västergötland, Sweden. I knitted this from a photo.
The original cap belongs to the Borås Museum and is knitted in twined knitting with undyed wool and then dyed red when finished, according to custom. I used a natural brown yarn spun at Wålstedts out of wool from the breed “Värmlandsfår”.
The most prominent feature of this cap is the use of alternating purl and knit rows as elements of decoration.
I am very fond of the “old way of knitting” and I find that there is often a subtle beauty and harmony in old knitted garments.

11. Ore Tradition - Sampler in Twined Knitting

The Ore tradition is old and, as in all of Dalecarlia, the old traditions are honored. We saw amazing things during the week and I charted some patterns from the old pieces that we got the chance to view. Sometimes we were even allowed to touch and study the old mittens, stockings and wrist warmers and I can say that it is quite an experience (YES I am a nerd!) to touch something that was knitted more than a hundred years ago. The craftsmanship was truly amazing and if I ever doubted the saying that twined knitting can never be too densely knit I am now proven wrong. The materials were so dense that it was sometimes hard to understand that they were knitted. Gauge at 50 stitches to 10 cm was common (12.5 stitches per inch) sometimes more.

12. Hilding - Cap in Twined Knitting

This cap is knitted with yarn spun at Wålstedts. I called the pattern Hilding, and used a stitch pattern that I saw during the workshop in Ore on the cuff, to make it a memory of a very special week.
With the cuff folded up it will be a very warm cap for cold winter days. It can also be worn turned inside out with the cuff folded down (so that the cuff pattern will show) for less cold days. Turning the knitted item inside out is not as strange as it may sound. In parts of Sweden and Norway the tradition once was/is to wear twined knitting turned inside out.
Z-plied yarn spun at Wålstedts (wool from the breed “Värmlandsfår”).



13. Mössa med häng (1) - Hat in Twined Knitting
From the new edition of “Tvåändsstickat” by Dandanell, Danielsson, Ankert (red) 2010, Dalarnas Museum.
Finally this book is available (only in Swedish) once more.
This spring I had the opportunity to test one of the new patterns in the 3rd edition of this book, but had to promise not to publish here on Ravelry before the release. It is a hat in the old style, but it is also a style that is widely popular nowadays. Pattern by Karin Kahnlund. It is a simple knit and a good project to start with if you are new at twined knitting.
I used a total of 180 grams of z-plied wool from Wålstedts, and I really liked the result. This hat has already been gifted, I´m soon finishing a second one that will be for my own use.

14. Mössa med häng (2) - Hat in Twined Knitting
This is my second one - this time for me.










15. Purl rows - Sampler in Twined Knitting
Sampler trying out combinations and variations with purl rows in Twined knitting. Knitted during a Twined Knitting class held by Karin Kahnlund.










16. Old School Mittens - Hand Spun and Twined Knitted
I am fascinated by the old technique of Twined Knitting. Last summer I had the opportunity to see and hold old knitted objects in Dalecarlia - it was quite an experience. I was fascinated by the craftsmanship and felt encouraged to further my knowledge - I had to learn to spin my own yarn. I started spinning last autumn (and that has forever changed how I look at yarn!) and now I have used some of the yarn to knit mittens.
The yarn used in these mittens was spun to be very strong and to make everyday mittens used for work - it reminds me of my childhood in Lapland.
I tried to keep the design simple to enhance the yarn, and knitted plain mittens with a decorated cuff.
155 grams in total. Dbpns 2.0 mm.
Gauge 44 stitches/10 cm (4 inches)

2 kommentarer:

  1. Helt fantastiska alster. Mycket vackra med tradition i bagaget.

    SvaraRadera
  2. Tack för inspirationen! Jag gör min första tvåendsstickning! Hälsningar --

    SvaraRadera